Urgh. Spending today learning how to convert a Word .doc to an .epub. Perhaps this is simple to those of you that already know how to do it, but it has been a bit of a learning curve simply because I’m unfamiliar with the steps. My head hurts, but I’m learning and learning is good. Urrrrrrgh. I made one experimental publication of unfinished product and it worked like a charm, then my second attempt took a little longer because I did it on my office computer and had to install Calibre and reinvent the wheel I’d just invented on my netbook. Anyway, second time went better, and as I do it more, better I’ll get.
The plan now is to convert all of my finished stories to .epubs and make them available for sale on my website. At this point, I don’t want to go through a site like Lulu, (though I actually really like the looks of Lulu and predict I’ll be on there before too long) simply because I don’t have the money. I think Lulu has free options, but until I can master all of the tiny little steps involved in formatting to Lulu requirements, just going to sell things the old-fashioned (well, old-new-fashioned) way, meaning you press the buy now button and I get an email and I manually email you the .epub directly. Not ideal, I know, but I’ll be making the process much more efficient as soon as I can!!
All in all, I’m excited. I feel this has catapulted me into a whole new world of opportunity! Not only am I writing stories; I can now sell those stories too! All depends on you the reader/family member/consumer pushing the little button. And don’t worry, cost will be cheap. Right now my process is clumsy and my overhead is low, so that translates to you as affordable stories! Hopefully!